Taraxacum officinale, commonly known as dandelion, is an amazing herb that acts like a miracle drug. According to leaflady.org, it is ranked as one of the top 4 greens in overall nutritional value by the USDA and is so well thought of that it is listed in both the US National Formulatory and in the Pharmacopeias of Hungary, Poland, Switzerland, and the Soviet Union. At AH Juice we think dandelion is such an important green that we include the herb every day in every juice we make for you!
Dandelion translates into “lion’s tooth” in French. The plant has brilliant yellow flowers., and several varieties can be seen in gardens and parks.
Used as a medicine by Arabian physicians as far back as the tenth century, the list of ailments dandelion has been used to treat is vast:
- Prevents or helps cure liver diseases, such as hepatitis or jaundice. Compounds in the herb, including Triterpenes and Taraxasterol treat liver hemorrhage and maintain proper flow of bile, essential for liver health.
- Acts as a tonic and strong diuretic to purify your blood and cleanse your system. It cleans deposits of toxic substances from the kidneys and urinary system.
- Dissolves kidney stones, and otherwise improves gastro-intestinal health Assists in weight reduction.
- Cleanses your skin and eliminates acne. Being a stimulant, diuretic and detoxifier, dandelion juice helps regulate the proper secretion of hormones, increases sweating and widens the pores, facilitating removal of toxins through sweat and urine. The sap can be used to inhibit microbial infection.
- Improves your bowel function, working equally well to relieve both constipation and diarrhea.
- Prevents or lowers high blood pressure.
- Dandelion contains Linoleic and Linolenic Acid, which are essential fatty acids required by the body to produce prostaglandin which regulate blood pressure. Prevents or helps cure anemia because the herb is rich in iron.
- Lowers your serum cholesterol by as much as half.
- Eliminates or drastically reduces acid indigestion and gas buildup by cutting the heaviness of fatty foods.
- Prevents or helps cure various forms of cancer. The herb contains Tof-CFr, a glucose polymer similar to lentinan, which Japanese researchers have found to act against cancer cells.
- Prevents or helps control diabetes mellitus by stimulating the production of insulin. The diuretic nature of the herb also causes diabetics to urinate frequently, helping to dispel extra sugar from the body. The bitter taste effectively lowers sugar levels.
- Protects and strengthens bones. Rich in calcium and anti-oxidants like vitamin C and Luteolin, dandelion protects bones from the age related damages of weakening and density loss.